Heroes of Hillsfar
“Join us and prosper. Oppose us and suffer.”
The Zhentarim seeks to become omnipresent and inescapable, more wealthy and powerful, and most importantly, untouchable. The public face of the organization appears much more benign, offering the best mercenaries money can buy. When a merchant needs an escort for his caravan, when a noble needs bodyguards to protect her holdings, or when a city needs trained soldiers to defend its honor, the Zhentarim provides the best-trained fighting men and women money can buy. However, the cost of doing business with the Black Network can be high.
The Black Network wants to make it necessary—and preferable, even—to deal with its members. It wants to secure, over time, an iron-fisted monopoly. Members must be the best—the cheapest, the fastest, and the most secure—at providing services and goods both legal and illicit, willing to lose coin if it means destroying a competitor, and securing profits from everyone they deal with, except when to do so would work against the Black Network’s ultimate goal: to make everyone dependent on it.
A member of the Zhentarim thinks of himself or herself as a member of a very large family and relies on the Black Network for resources and security. However, members are granted enough autonomy to pursue their own interests and gain some measure of personal power or influence.
- The Zhentarim is your family. You watch out for it, and it watches out for you.
- You are the master of your own destiny. Never be less than what you deserve to be.
- Everything—and everyone—has a price.
To amass wealth, power, and influence.
- Fang (rank 1)
- Wolf (rank 2)
- Viper (rank 3)
- Ardragon (rank 4)
- Dread Lord (rank 5)
Rank 3 Downtime Activities
Members of the five factions who have achieved rank 3 have access to the following special downtime activities when adventuring in and around Hillsfar and in the Underdark beneath the city.
Opportunist. You are a Viper of the Zhentarim and are adept at slithering your way into advantageous positions. Despite the Red Plumes’ grip on trade in the region and the chaos spreading as a result of madness in the Underdark, you are in a perfect position to profit. While you adventure, you are able collect valuables without the other party members’ knowledge, then sell those valuables at a later date. For each ten downtime days you spend before an adventure, increase your gold rewards from the adventure by 10 percent, up to a maximum of 50 percent for that adventure.
- Chaab, the most senior Zhentarim agent in the Moonsea area. Currently living in the Zhent Ghettos in Mulmaster.
- Joyella, a female gnome and Zhentarim agent working in the western Moonsea area. The party rescued her from duergar bounty hunters.
- Sneak, a tiefling rogue and member of the Protectors of Elventree.
- Aretheya, human female warrior, acts as a caravan guard and bodyguard for those who pay the Zhentarim.