Heroes of Hillsfar
Rumours and Information 12
Rumours, News and Information gathered after the Malady in Elventree adventure.
- The Protectors of Elventree are now being led by the half orc Rasputin, since the death of their former leader Tobin the druid. They are recovering mentally from their ordeal in the Underdark where they lost Tobin and Olon the wizard they were escorting.
- Graz’zt himself has crafted human sized items which are designed to spread his madness to areas untouched by tainted faezress. These include musical instruments that send anyone listening into madness, as well as drinking containers that infect anyone drinking from them. The Moonsea Emergency Council has put up posters around Elventree warning people to be careful and what the known symptoms of madness are.
- Huum, the mind flayer living in Sporedome, is working on another portal to take troops closer to Szith Morcane. His original portal's exit point is now too well guarded.
- A colony of mind flayers exists near the now deserted Underdark town of Zortaga. The local tribe of kuo-toa are worried that they will try to enslave them, however the party were told that the illithids have no designs upon the kuo-toa. They get plenty of slaves from those that attack their colony.
- The colony of mind flayers originally intended to stay neutral during the conflict raging through the Underdark, however there is debate whether to ally with those opposed to the demonic fire giants. There is also a mind flayer who may have defected to the side of the demons – the illithids call him “Rogue Thought.” This illithid has hidden in a faerzress dense area which apparently affects the psionic powers of the mind flayers. Once they pinpoint his location they will be asking for assistance to eliminate Rogue Thought. This should tip the balance of the debate and ensure the mind flayer colony allies itself with the drow and those fighting against the demonic fire giants.
- Graz’zt himself has been crafting items for distribution to the surface lands as a way to spread his madness to those areas not affected by faerzress. Anyone who uses them, or in the case of a musical instrument, hears it, may succumb to the demonic insanity. One made its way to the surface through random chance prompting the Heroes of Hillsfar to investigate. There was also a demonic samovar – anyone who drank from it became infected with madness. These items are now in the hands of the Moonsea Emergency Council, but it is feared there are many more similar items stockpiled in Maerimydra.
- Somebody could write a book about Myth Drannor – I think Elminster may have tried but not me. I’ve made it a point to stay out of Myth Drannor altogether. When I was a young druid and too dumb to know better, I decided to check it out. I had some half-baked notion that I’d find a secret cache of gold, as if the same idea hadn’t occurred to every avaricious soul from here to Amn. To be on the safe side, I recruited a pair of black bears to go with me. When we got within ten miles of the place, the bears were growling and snorting. Every few minutes, they stopped to sniff the air, then shook their heads in confusion before reluctantly padding on. By the time we reached the outskirts of the city, one bear had already bolted into the brush, scrambling in the general direction of Anauroch as fast as his paws could take him. The other bear was whining like a whipped kitten, digging his claws into the ground and refusing to move. I had my arms around his neck and was trying to drag him forward when I heard something thunder overhead. A red dragon was roaring out of Myth Drannor, wings beating furiously, its face wrenched in stark terror! I didn’t wait to see what was chasing it. I dived into a clump of brambles, squirming underneath as far as I could, ignoring the thorns that ripped my back. I cowered there shaking, waiting for the end. The bear bolted into the trees and disappeared.
Gradually, the roar receded. I stayed where I was, listening to the crickets chirp and leaves rustle. Three hours later, I wriggled out of the brambles, half expecting some hellish monstrosity to swoop from above and carry me away in its claws. It didn’t happen, but I kept one eye cocked toward the sky all the way home, just in case.
I never found out what was chasing the red dragon. I hope I never do.
- Elisande is a scrawny, dark haired girl, dressed in rags and often accompanied by a blind goat. Cundall ascertained that the goat is not a goat and suspects that it may be an aspect of the goddess Mielikki who is guiding and/or protecting Elisande for some reason.
- The mind flayers of Ryxyg have created a permanent teleportation circle at Sporedome. That means anyone with the ability and the unique key can teleport straight there with a teleportation circle spell. It has been useful for the allies in the Underdark, as Sporedome is being used as a mustering point due to its proximity to Szith Morcane and large size.